Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Stage 2 ....

...Cordoba - Cordoba, 78 km and about 2000 elevation. Very similar to yesterday but yet very different! First different, we got to start in block 6 (up from 8). The course today was mostly dirt, double and single track and very little road. Equally hard with lots of climbing, but pretty much each climb was rewarded with more great trails and descents. Very well put together. The climbs, though super hard, had some more content to them, rocks, sand, steep, long. We saw some awesome views and canyons, cow fields and forrest, slick rock and rough rock, a little bit of everything. Craig once again did all he could to help me reach the top and it didn't take too long into the race before we caught up with the second women team. We never saw the lead mixed team and I just assumed they were ahead, riding strong. We road with them for a bit and eventually dropped them and soon got the wheel of the lead women team. Very strong on the climbs and Craig pushed me hard to make sure we stuck with them (literally). We dropped them on a decent, after one of them had a little issue with the bike. Legs were yelling and screaming all day, and apparently I do too sometimes, but both legs and me, keep going. It's hard not too when Craig is working so hard, but in my mind I would have loved to stopped at least at one of the many coffee shops I saw crossing roads. Well, no coffee stop today. We made it to the rail road, and finally the many trips to Cochran paid off. Though, I wasn't as lucky this time. Ripped the side of my front tire after getting in a the bumpy groove. Saw a few teams ride by unfortunately but this is racing. Got a tube in and road a bit more careful on the some sections now. Still having some issues with my chain jumping off and getting stuck in the crank arm. Tuned it up slightly again, to worried about someone messing with the crack if I dropped it off to a mechanic. Craig suggest I should remove a link, that will be plan B, plan A, don't mess with it if it's sort of working...hopefully it'll hold up one more day.
The very last 5 km of the race was the same as day 1 and 2. Was very happy to see the end!
The mixed team was not there yet, so we ended up winning the day. They had a flat tire early on during the neutral section and came rolling across the finish line second today, still with the overall lead. Only some big mistake on their end will take that away from them. They seem very strong still.

We fumbled a bit more after the finish today, fixing my wheel, front shifting etc. So missed lunch before massage. Had a quick cheese doodle snack and went for a massage. Today I got "Olga"! she is very strong! it was very painful! I hope I can walk tomorrow :) Craig got the same one as yesterday and is very pleased. Ice bath done, soon dinner, pack room for a 630AM departure tomorrow to a new area tomorrow.

Happy Riding!


3 comments:

  1. I think you have set a new record for occupying the opposite ends of the distribution in only 3 days - last to first is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica Aardal5:01 AM

    Kjempe bra, Kate!!! Stå på, og fortsatt lykke til! =)

    Klem, Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go.. I hope the massage did some good

    ReplyDelete