Saturday, May 17, 2014

TP 2014 - Stage 9

...the finale! Wow it seems so recent I was wondering about how can I get through the next 8 days, now there is only one left :)


Pre-race:

99 km to rest on the beach, well at least for a couple hours before the packing and journey home. But it'll be the best couple hours in a long time. But of course it's not done until it's done, and sure it's one of the shorter stages but punchy climbs on these legs will definitely be a challenge. 

Post race update:

It's amazing what your body will let you do to it and how it adapts to pretty much anything as long as your head is in the game. When after day 1 of a 9 day stage race you feel shattered, the next day it'll let you abuse it again, and again....and in the end it no longer feel like abuse, it's just part of the rutine each day. Today some adrenaline of it being the last day got mixed in and the mind knowing it was the last, both puts a whole new dimension to it - pain goes away and you just enjoy the moment of no looking back (literarily). 

Started with a super fast downhill and I managed to miss the turn to the dirt, so up the hill again. Then a little bit of gradual to super steep climb. I chose to walk a bit to and though I rode hard I was looking back for Eric. The course is more suited for my tired legs, lots of shorter ups, but you know you'll get a coasting break going down. It's mostly dirt with a couple of sections of ashpalt. Passed a group of road cyclist out training, up a hill. They were a bit surprised as I passed by with a hello and have a good ride :)
By the time I hit CP 2 and no sight of Eric, I figured it was time to not look back again. This last section I remember from before and after a bit of double track you hit a short rode section up to the view of the cliffs and the ocean. It was windy but I tucked in on the bike, I had tilted my seat forward today, and it help the sitting on the seat part of the ride :) 
Then you hit the beach - it was nice and solid so a light jog wasn't too bad (ok, so I walked a bit too). Off the beach the first up and down and up. It was hot but with a little breeze it was manageable (adrenaline is also good at this point). I "cheated" and looked back, didn't see anybody, extra motivation to keep pushing. Quick back down again and a climb out, passed last CP and a little further up. A few km fighting wind before the last up down up of the day - of the nine days!! The last climb is on the road, quiet steep and with a little bit of view of the path down, looked back again, no sound of bike no view of yellow. The last slight downhill I remember as super fast and I was looking forward to this, but it was everything but super fast. It was more sand, windy as heck so no coasting, and washboard features that reminded you this is TransPortugal and nothing comes easy. I did not remember this section being this long, and was very happy when I hit the pavement for a little bit. 
Then a little bit of up passed the hotel for the night, back out on some last trail, and down towards the very end, single track to the finish and the beach!! Amazing finish arena, and even better when no Jose passed with a smile saying "go Kate, go!". A couple minutes later he crossed. Glad I never saw him, great guy, but much better this way :)

Time to rest and enjoy the beach town of Sagres. This journey is one of the hardest, most memorable, enjoyable in all weird ways, I do, and three times now, and it hasn't changed my view. I know I will be back, it's just a matter of when.

Team Aardal did well, thanks to dad for getting to most of the CP's out ther, seeing me off the start and again there in the finish. Sharing experiences other than in words makes for a even better time. Only in it can you really understand what this is and why people keep coming back - wether your first or last or in the middle, the passion is the same for what we do. 

Happy Resting!


No comments:

Post a Comment