Monday, May 19, 2014

TransPortugal...

...a few of the typicals...

Typical day on the start - dad always there to see me off, Tiago counts me down - Greg is already on the go but that's the only one before me. 14% for female and 2 % for being in my 11th year of my thirties :)
Typical view during the day (minus the shoe). The profile has a few km marks, this helps me focus on small goals for the day, CP's are part of it, some peaks and water stops. The large garmin keeps me on track, and sometimes it gets me in trouble navigating while going fast down hill, but to everyone's surprise I rode almost 1200 km on the Burt's and not one issue! The large one also serve as a data collecter that is used to verify you did the course and that you stopped for 5 seconds at Stop signs. This race can be completed without your bike as long as you have the GPS track, and of course without motorized assistance.
The little GPS is my time, km and temperature to remind me to drink!
I would also carry a tracking device in my pocket for the to know your where abouts - this saved Eric at least one day!

Typical plate (first of many) at the finish, there is great options. Nice fruits, meats, tuna and bean salads, egg and the list goes on. I would usually visit again after massage (no good shot of the awesome team of massage therapists - but they are included in the typical day - highly recommend this package if considering this race.


After massage a "ice" bath. 

Typical night - dinner and lots of it. Dad on his way in the hunger fighting crowd. Great food all around.

Typical after dinner briefing and GPS handout. Tiago is the timing and GPS master of the Staff. Below is what he goes through.

Typical briefing sheet - we also get our gps back. The info would include water stops (taps or cafés), major climbs, things to note of warning, and stops. Before lights out for the night I would change batteries, make sure the right map (one for each day) is set and make my little frame map.


Typical find your bike action - a group of staff takes your bike on the finish line, then clean it and tune it up! A package I would highly recommend if you consider this race. It's so nice not to worry about the bike, you'll find it almost brand new amongs the others in the morning before your start.

Maybe not a typical view but typical standard of the hotels! It's a vacation after all - so why suffer after a day on the bike. The hotels are nice - Raphael and Paul enjoying tonight's last hotel. The carrot we ride towards for 9 days :)










No comments:

Post a Comment