Monday, September 21, 2009

Day 3 cts

Wow, what a day!
Brisk morning but the camp offered a great breakfast buffet and hot coffee to get us going. The day would start with a 17km neutral ride to the start then 54km to the finish. My favorite day last year.
A pretty fast start so I let off to not burn and bonk like the day before as I knew the last part of the course was demanding as well. I only had about 5 min on second but not too concerned as I knew our differences. So if I can just keep her behind me or in contact until secon half ill be good.
She eventually caught up to me on some of the longer road sections and I did what I could to just hang on. I manage to do so until we hit the beginning of the fun for the day. We chatted and I had no worries as we rode away on some fun single track. All of a sudden on a flat I hear Snap! What! My derailure is on the ground attached to the cable only on wrong side of wheel with a spoke stuck around cogs. Oh well. I had a spare hanger so no worries a few minutes and I should be back up. But as the new hanger went on I had to take the half left on the deraillure off, but that was not gone happen. It was jammed and bent so it was impossible to get off. A few strong guys and some hammering rocks but no luck! So eventually I had to accept the fact that it was done. I had no cable cutter and my fancy cement end made it impossible (for me anyway) to get deraillure off so with some back patches and old tape it was mounted on the chainstay. The spoke a problem at this point. I made it a single speed but as I rode chain kept coming off or putting so much tension on the wheel that it bent and rubbed the frame. I made it to the second feed and got some help setting chain but shortly after it snapped! And it snapped a few times. I'm now pro with the chain tool! From second feed to end it wad about 17km. I jogged and walked most ups and flats and rolled down. At on down my nicely wrap of a spoke decided to unwrap so I got some plastic bag and had to tie it off to another spoke. But the weather was great, the lakes I rode by beautiful and the many riders I got to ride with briefly as they flew by made it all worth to keep jogging along. The single track decent were still great and so was the BBQ waiting for me at the finish!
All in all I've been spared for major mechanicals for all my races so this is just part of the game. I missed the podium this day and the overall win but held on to second.
Sarah finished in great shape today. Three days of long hours in the saddle, what a way to jump into the mountain bike racing. Very impressive, way to go Sarah!
So with all my trouble I ended up winning a Norco bike frame. Not bad. Thanks to Norco for helping out with breaks and supporting the event.
Crank the Shield is well put on, a great fall event with great riding and highly recommended. Now boarding flight enroute Fort McMurray.

Happy Riding
kate
Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry device on the Bell network.
Envoyé sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le réseau de Bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment