Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Lost for words...

... and still in a bit of disbelief. I spoke with my dad shortly after the first attack, even that seemed unreal, he had left Oslo as they shut down the city. Little did we know what was coming.

I left worked early as didn't really get anything done, spoke to my brother, spoke to my mother who was with my sisters family, I watched the news, prepared for Edmonton, watched some more news and struggled with what to think, things like this just doesn't happen back home. Listened to the news on the drive up to Edmonton, registered and skipped pre-ride, it was wet! Watched the news on the TV at the hotel. Didn't sleep much. Got up and watched some more news, and it just kept getting worse. How could it get so big? how could one person? These are just kids, living in what we thought was the safest place to be!

I tried to focus on the race I came up to do. I wanted to do this Canada Cup after a bad event in Canmore. I went down to the course early to pre-ride as my start wasn't until 230pm. But when I got down to the venue I saw some pretty muddy bikes come back from riding the course, so I decided to keep my bike clean for the main ride. When back to the hotel for some breakfast and back to the TV. Not the best prep, but the race wasn't really important at this point. Though, I came to race, and needed to ride to get my mind on something else. I had an ok warm-up, not long, but got my heart rate up a bit and felt ok. The start was fast as usual and I was the last person in the field and struggled to get up with the really fast girls. As we got to the single track I thought I was in an ok position until one girls pretty much pushed herself in front of me, and another followed! OK! guess that's how it works in short intense xc races, but there should be a rule that if you push your self in front you better keep going and stay with the rest! But we didn't, we quickly lost contact with the lead girls, the fast girls and there was no spot to pass. I got in a comfortable pace and eventually got by two, then a little bit later I picked up another, and then I lost count, might have been another here and there. It was very muddy and slippery, specially second half of course, which first lap was pretty much a run a bike (or walk a bike). I ended up riding most of the race on my own, so got stuck in a comfy pace for a bit and had to kick myself in the butt to remind me that it was a race, but all and all I had a good day on the bike. The body responded properly to hard effort and did what it should when I slowed down, so I was happy. Cathrine Vipond won the day, two girls on pink bikes I think and then Mical fourth, some other girl, and then me. Alana won the single speed category, and did the elite race on the same muddy bike after! Nice work!

After the race it was back in the car and drive home. Saturday I went in to Canmore to see the finish of the 24 event, can't say I miss riding at night, but it's something about these events that makes them attractive. Meredith and Angela took Toby for a ride, while I walk around the course for a bit.
Headed up to cougar creek for a nice hike with SQ, and that was the weekend pretty much.

Now, a few days since the horrible situation Friday, it's been some time to think, but there are still no words really. I'm sad but also proud to see how the nation is coming together.

I'd like to share a quote from AUF member Helle Gannestad;

"When one man could cause so much evil - think about how much love we can create together"


























My thoughts goes out to those who lost loved once, family members and friends. It seems everyone is touched in one way or another, and it is truly admiring to see how Norway have chosen to fight hate with respect, togetherness and love!

kate

No comments:

Post a Comment