Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Yak Attack Day 2...


... hardest day on a bike in a long time!

Group ride NUWAKOT to TRISULI BAZAAR 10.1km Race - TRISULI TO GORKA - 81km, 2700M ASCENT (Max Elevation 1200m)

2800 steep meters of climbing and 5hrs 37 min (not official). The best way to describe today's ride; take your bike to Powderface parking lot and ride up and down (to the peak on the rough side) until you have 2800 m, mix in a whole lot of school kids walking, goats and chickens crossing in unpredictable directions, sleeping dogs in the middle of the road and let's not forget the public busses with people on the roof, mopeds and other means of transportation working their way up and down which if I didn't actually see it my self I wouldn't believe they could. I could probably think of other ways to get my adrenaline going than gambling with my life in the many blind corners, so after my first real close call I road even more sensible.
Today I was actually thinking I'm looking forward to the snow day, at least there will be no bumps in the snow. My body is bumped out a bit :)
Had a great stop and feed station 2, but from there I got all mixed up with my profile and gps. I expected the 3 feed at the bottom of a decent around 60 km, but it never showed up, I started convincing my self the 80km must have included the group ride and aid 2 was the third and the day was almost over. So finished my second bottle and put in a little extra on the climb. Peaked at 70 with a whole bunch of happy school kids and when offered water I assumed it was locals and kindly and expected to see the finish line soon. But as it turns out the 10 km group ride was not in, and I totally blew it, 4 km from the finish I had to stop at one of the little road side store and buy some water to make it to the finish. It was the best bottle of wate I've ever had! And I don't really even like water.
I was very happy to see the finish line.

Some amazing scenery once again, a glims of the "real mountains", farmers rice fields through the mountains sides, all the school kids walking km's it seems up and down what we climbed to get to school (throwing rocks at Jeff appetantly, he was too fast so didn't see him after the start). Could you imagine the fit kids we would have if we made them walk to school and made sure every school was at the top of the biggest hill in town. I haven't seen one overweight youngster. And they are all so happy. In general everyone seems so happy and relaxed. People live in places that seems remote, and put up their little shacks selling potato chips and other goodies. I bet if they get a customer a day they are happy. 

Tomorrow is a shorter day and not as much climbing; but I won't be fooled, I don't think there is a way to get anywhere with out some wicked steep up. But fortunately for me, I've already showered had some food and resting. Others are still out there, probably see the 10 hour ride today.

Happy Riding!


Getting the riders gathered for the group ride to the start, 10 km and most of fast steep down!

View from out room today.


View from my bed ...

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed reading your blog Kate. Keep up the good work and happy Yak Attack!
    DeadGoat Henry

    ReplyDelete