Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Yak Attack Stage 8 -

... last racing stage!!

KAGBENI TO TATOPANI - DISTANCE 58KM, 958M ASCENT
and GROUP RIDE STAGE 9

This stage would end in a town with a hot spring   - the thought of getting cleaned off with out using baby wipes was making many smile!! It was a short stage, and after such a high yesterday it sort of felt that this was just a ride to the finish.

It was a beautiful morning and once again we had bag drops before the start, I had a hard time deciding what to wear as we knew it would get warmer, as we went down, but it was cool still.
I kept on probably a little bit more than required, but it was all good.

Fast start I remember, Erik rode like a mad man still - looking the shape of his life (or as far as I've seen him in his life) and riding like it! After the first major (and only big one of the day) climb we had caught up to Yuki, and after the next few docents were I would keep a little bit of a space to make sure it was safe the next was to get on the wheel, but 20 m was impossible to close - Erik was just motoring, through the town he flew - I broke a couple of my own rules - don't push it passed 80% going down, it's about finishing consistent and safely in a stage race - only a few seconds can be gained on the down with the 20% extra, but when it goes wrong, it could be really bad! But I really wanted to hang on! Then through town, when finally getting on the train - my other rule always pick your lines, hence you need to see your lines, so don't follow too close!!! I blindly and too closely followed and line was ok, but didn't see it clearly and hit an edge and puff, and the day had just started... flat!! oh well! the race mind shut off very quick, and I felt totally ok with it - the day before was really the highlight and I was ok with that - my thoughts now was more around fixing it properly and be able to finish the race. Shortly after Jeff rode by - he stopped and helped me get some air back in with his high efficient and apparently antique pump!! but still worked better then my expensive brand new!!
We rode the rest of the stage together - a nice stage - mostly roads - if you can call them roads. It was rough descending and we would ride by many "bike casualties" of the day. Mostly flats, but one guy with a bigger problem. Had a very close call with a bus!! in the lack of thinking I went right, that would have work at home, but then he went right too (well his left)... had just enough room to skid by! ops!
Stopped to pump up a couple of times, Jeff got some pictures and in general a good day! We rode hard down, but safely. Made it to the finish line and successful completion of 2014 Yak Attach!! So did Erik and Gerry, 100% completion for the Calgarians! I'd say that is success!!
Erik who started out sick as a dog, never stopped pedaling, and the last few days have ridden stronger than I've seen him ever ride, Gerry who also got sick in the first few days, steady every day - even when he had to walk away from his super duper famous sunglasses, and Jeff who got it bad at the worst timing, no hot water (or water at all when it was frozen), in altitude and cold and when the days were as steep as they get, still made it over the mountains and to the finish.
A very different "race" - not all about the physical fitness alone, but so many other things. But though we are spoiled with first world luxury we seem to have survived pretty well. Took a few minutes to reflex at the finish line.

Then it was time for hot springs!! and from there on in, my minor icky tummy took a turn to let me know what was really going on  (and Jeff on his second round).... downhill it went. Today I'm wondering if choosing the hot spring down stream from the really hot spring (were I noticed people doing their laundry as well...) was a great idea.....and I think even if it's completely unrelated; it'll be a while before another hot spring visit :)
I sort of made it through the town party they held for us - in pain all night - and listen to Jeff go through his round two. The next day was group ride day so I felt very fortunate to go my pace - chose a solo to avoid chatter and dust, just had to make it to the bus - thought about the bus ride; wasn't almost worried enough to join Cory's group and ride to the hotel - and in the end they actually made it there before us though with me that probably would not have been the case.....
Had a peak out the window at one point, and that's pretty much my memory from the bus ride, it looked steep - maybe a good thing to just be out of it.... Actually don't recall too much of the first day in Pokahora, I missed the awards and woke up nice and early the next day feeling a bit normal but sad to have missed out on the night before.

At the time we arrived in Pokahora I was happy it was the end of the trip! Today - work sucks, maybe Rumble the Jungle next?? Someone please remind me!!

It's all good adventure and gives you better perspective!

Happy Riding!



Beautiful morning to start the last day of racing!

Breakfast....
 
Gerry at the finish!!! Nice work!

The now infamous hot springs!

View by hotel in Tatopani 

another scarf - the town party

Jeff at the town party - it was a close call party - wiring issues got fixed after blowing up a few times


Happy Gerry!



Jeff really showing his skills - next adventure will be taking up dancing!




Corry having a little rest before the ride to Pokahora - back to his normal self after starting off with some bad stuff too.


Getting bikes loaded - at this point I wasn't concerned about the bike - if I never saw it again it would be just fine :)


We made it to Pokahora - and what a change! Luxery I'd say, a Jeffy to do the checking, hot
showers, heated rooms, super comfy bed - perfect place if you were gona be sick!


No comments:

Post a Comment