Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Yak Attack Day 3...


... did not go as I planned, but sometimes you change plans on the fly and hope for the best. 
 
GORKHA TO BESI SAHAR - 59.2KM, 1198M ASCENT (Max Elevation 1000m)
 
Nice late start today, after a nice breakfast. The racers all gathered just below the hotel for the staggered start. My plan for this short stage was to recover the legs for a big stage tomorrow (60km of all uphill (3200 m). I road pretty safe on the downhill, but still managed to miss a turn and got a Nepali guy wih me in the process, quickly got on track. Also had the terrible experience of hitting a dog at high speed and I felt terrible. He was just a little guy and yelped for a bit, but then moved on. 
After the decent I followed my plan and pedalled steady pace until Mr. Jeff came up behind; I was torn in my mind to demand he kept on, or if I should ride with him (me on the tail off course). I knew I would push harder and get to the finish quicker if I did as I could sit in on all the pedal sections which was most of the day. I stuck with him and left it up to him to leave me, it felt ok until pavement (about 15-20 km to finish) and from there on I had to work really hard to hang on. Stuck with it to the finish, and hope legs have something left for tomorrow. 
The course was as the other days full of local people, animals and various types of transportations, and when there is pavement they actually move pretty fast. Got to use my skidding skills at one occasion about 100 m from the finish, sometimes luck is part of racing.

Erik was there when we got in and he was back to him self, chatty and full of stories. Good to see, he had a great day.

Got to hotel and right away ordered food, who would know we would eat two hours later! But it's Nepal and I'm on vacation :)

Time for a nap.

Happy Riding!


Out hotel in Gorcha, riders getting ready.
Morning in Gorcha.
Two hours waiting, it was good though.
View from our room at today's hotel
Window view...

No comments:

Post a Comment