Friday, March 07, 2014

Yak Attack Stage 5 ...

...short but supposedly sweet.

CHAME TO MANANG - DISTANCE: 29.7KM, 1249M ASCENT (Max Elevation 3540m)

Another Sunrise!
With wake up at 530 and bags dropped to porters by 7 and the start not until 9 the question became what to wear to stay warm. I opted for warmth and then ride with the awesome seat bag that Scott made. In addition to the jacket and pants I also brought some nice thick socks, a warm undershirt and thick gloves for the finish and I would later be happy I did.

Just before the start the local hotel folks had a good luck good bye and we all got scarfs that we later hang on the bridge by the start. The people here continue to show kindness and it's not a forced feeling like some touristy places, it feels very genuine.

Breakfast was nice but for the first time in the trip I did not feel well after. With sinuses clogged and hurting belly it felt more like a normal flue than anything I'd ate so I wasn't too concerned and hoped it'll be fought off quick. 


Off the start it was a big steep climb. Then some ups and downs for a while. The temperature felt like it went from hot to cold for the first few km, and when putting in any effort the belly pain would magnify. So kept in nice and steady. Caught up to my bag (and the porter) way too soon! But at least I had supply with me and the seat bag worked awesome, both as a fender and clothing bag. The mud was pretty intense, some sections had ice and snow, felt like home, then mud...more mud...so much mud I stopped trying to avoid it. If it wasn't for the mud and the belly, it probably was one of the better mountain bike stages. But if was happy it was a short stage, nothing got better, and at one point I thought I'd just lie down for a few. About 2.5 km and what I thought was 200 m more meters of elevation from the finish, I saw a little wash and decided to throw in the towel for a bit. I figured I'd be walking for the 2.5 with that gain and be out there forever so might as well clean the bike when there was water and have a break. Just as I had started one rider came by and he was wondering why I would stop here, the finish is just around the corner. He said I'd be fine to ride it in, very close. When I got around the corner I could see the town, Manang, on the other side of a long flat stretch. I watched my garmin to the end. The last 500 m were the longest 500m in my life. But I made it. 

The finish were at the hotel so relaxed a bit as the pain settled and then hung out in the sun on the roof top, for a while. Had plenty of tea, ordered Jeff and I a "Trekkers breakfast" that once again I failed in the supply food to the guy! Sorted out the confusion and then had the best eggs ever! Well worth the long wait. Some luggage started arriving. Though as I had seen my bag as the first porter I passed, I knew it would be a while. And I was just happy I brought some good warm clothing with me. Gerry and I went through a few more pots of tea before our bags with a couple others were the last to arrive :)

Enjoyed a baby wipe shower; some "clean" cloths and dinner! Tomorrow is rest day to acclimatize to the altitude a bit. There is a movie theater in town; playing same movies as last year apparently. There is also a couple bakeries. Not a bad place to be resting.

Happy Riding!


Chips shows the truth of the road conditions!


Ready to role with some good warm cloths to the finish! Thanks Scott!!


Rai in thought before the start - he planned on sprinting this one in!

Good luck ceremony; scarf and candy to make sure of it!

Tied our good luck scarfs on the bridge, then off to the race!


Quick "bathroom" break! Sort of like riding at home!

At the finish in Manang - the mountains are getting enormous!


Jeff had a good day!

Roof top sun shine! Kept us warm for a while!

Happy riders!!

The better view.....


When cold, good time to recruit new riders to Ridleys, Yuki was onboard for a bit!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment