Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day 2 Intermontane - more heat and more...

....gravel roads! There is a lot of hills around here and they all seem to have a nice steep gravel road and no trees! Day 2 was not much different than day 1, a little shorter in distance but similar riding, a little bit more single track in the end, but nothing technical of sort.
After a night of feeling hot I don't think I'd totally recovered from the heat yesterday. So today I was set at taking it easy, making sure to enjoy some of the riding rather than empty out and risk heat stroke. I think that was a good plan. Even through town in the group ride I felt the heat, probably around 30 at that point, so I stuck to my plan. My legs felt good and I kept my heart rate at a lower rate (average today was 148 vs 165 yesterday), but was able to push it up in the above 170 when putting in some effort, but as soon as some effort was put in the heat would knock me back so I stuck the game plan through the race. In the end I could finish with a smile and able to stand on my feet, it was great!
The course didn't have too much to offer again today, a little bit more single track way in the end, but after the first few major climbs they took us down on some really fast double track/roady sections, pretty disappointed to loose all that gain so quickly on a road!!
Yesterday I got a bee stuck in my jersey and it stung me a few times before it found its way out, and funny enough, I got one in again today! I'm staring to believe my green and yellow outfit looks like a flower, and maybe I smell like a flower too :) Only one sting today though.
The course was marked much better today, only one spot, on a high speed decent did I end up missing a turn, but quickly turned around. And there seem to be an award of some sort and a riders meeting in the evenings, it just wasn't announced anywhere, so tonight I'll wander up to the TRU and check it out.
Sue Butler is riding strong and yesterday was way ahead and took the win again today, as for my self I'm not sure how much time I lost, but quiet a bit. Had a bit of a break while fixing a chain break for a rider, and my pace was nice and slow! But in the end I had a nice and safe day in heat I'm not handling to well, which is more important. I hope to have some fun tomorrow, as I've heard it might be a ride with some technical descents! 85 km long and 2300 meters of gain, we'll head up to almost 2000 meters, so maybe we'll be in some trees even! They might start us at 7 am which will help a bit with the heat. So I'm looking forward to tomorrows ride! Try to be better prepared so Meredith doesn't have to rush back to hotel to get race food 10 minutes before start! I just blame the heat :)

Meredith and the dogs are doing great as support, I love coming down the last bit of trail and seeing them there. While I'm out riding, they enjoy some of what Kamloops have to offer of lakes and hikes. Today they went to Pauls lake for a dip, much needed to cool off! In the afternoons the dogs are just done, I think the head wipes them out as well. Or maybe they are just bored out of their mind wondering when we're going back to McMurray so they can come riding too.
Off to shine up the green machine and a bit of rest and load up on drink and food!
Happy Riding!
kate and the crew of Meredith, Toby and Sequoia!






















































No comments:

Post a Comment