Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 3 Intermontane - bit of a joke..

... is how I feel about the race and how things are turning out. I might not be fair in my blog today as it is first years event and some things are out of peoples control, but I have some standard set when taking a week out of my time to come out to play.
Today was suppose to start at 8 am, which I was very happy with as it's been very hot, even at 8am it's almost 30 degrees. When arriving at the start people had been informed that the start had been delayed to 930 as some guy (local rider) took all markers down and cut trees to block trails that were part of the course. And to the events defend, it's hard to fight those guys who want to ruin the day, so they were remarking a shorter course (50 km, took out the top section which was suppose to be the fun of the day coming down). So while waiting we went back to the hotel and relaxed. We came back to the start and got ready to line up, when again, it was announced that start now would be at 1030! With that the heat would be just as previous days. The start eventually went, and for 40km it was a road race like I've never done ! There was 3 feed stations and we hit them all before any trail (and in my head I had 50 km as the target finish)! After the last feed I was so exited to see some double track at last, 10 km to the finish, then some single track, then some really fast down hill double track and then.... ops! A T -intersection with no marker!! I had passed a few people on the downhill and as they came down I went one way and checked the course out, but as I ended up on top of a climb with no markers or tire marks I went back down and we all took the same turn. After we climbed that hill one guy decied to go back the other way, so four of us continued on, no idea if it was right or not. It was a bit of ups and downs, motorcycle style track, and then a fence line, and eventually we found the markers again, at this point all I see is about 2 sets of tire tracks in the sandy trail. So we're thinking we're the only once who actually got on the course, or we are on tomorrow course!? But who cares at this point, I didn't, I just wanted to ride downhill and get to the finish! I had 50 km on the gps at this point! After a bit of fast down hill we see feed 1 below us and lots of "further back riders", I just wanted to continue on the marked course (which I now know was tomorrows course) but the girls down below called us down and sent us on the highway for almost another 20 km!! Brutal... At the finish line we were told today will not count! Which is fine, but yet not fine.... This event is advertised as a top class event, with huge money to winner in open men and women category, people spend lots of time to prepare and to come down to this event. It's ok to have one, or two bloopers, and say sorry, but this is over the top. There is not enough people to run this event, and my biggest issue at this point is the safety of the riders. Bishop was sent to the hospital today, I hear he had a fall in the end but made it to the finish and then didn't feel to good. This could have been someone off the course, way out there, lost by them self, in 40 degrees! I was lost today, but in a group of four, we had a gps, but it only gives you a direction, there are endless trails you can pick. Not a good thing when the organizer have to drive the lead Moto as he is the only one who knows the trail! The meeting tonight had a lot of feedback from riders, some pretty upset about the profesionalism of the event, some backed it up, personally I agree with those who is a bit upset. As we spend lots of time preparing and training and picking events, some travling from other countries, the events we chose should respect this and put it on with more effort to give us an safe and fair event. Monday many people got lost which for some ruined the change of winning, and they did not make it neutral, while today they did?
Anyway, there is two more days so we will see if they learned something from today, and hopefully it'll pick up for the better. Long stage tomorrow and up heigh! hopefully not all on road in the sun. I hope for the best, I just want to ride some fun trails. Todays best was post race massage! Thanks to Catherine for recommending a great therapist and I got visit from my favorite support crew at first feed station! so with that....
Happy riding!
kate

No comments:

Post a Comment