Thursday, April 28, 2011

First impressions...

...of Portugal.
Arrived at the airport on time and with it being one hour earlier I felt good that it wasn't passed midnight yet. Got my luggage after a long while and then tried to find my pickup. No sight of TP officials so I went to Torisimo counter, but they only seemed annoyed with tourists and their questions about big cabs for bikes. Told me to see the Police, so I did, a little hesitant since the group of three all had guns and didn't look too happy about working nightshift. But after a bit of language confusion we agreed that I go in the Taxi line up, a very long one. I parked the bikebox at the "finish line" which was not in agreement with the older cart man, so out of the line, get the box and wiggle it in through to the back of the line again. When it finally was my turn after 30 min or so, the younger policeman came over. We moved the box back to were I had left it, to the annoyance of the cart man, and waited for a large enough taxi. The police guy told me he rode with the guy in charge of TP and wanted to the race next year. Just as he for me a large cab the TP official showed up..ha ha now I'd annoyed the tourist guy, the cart man and a cab driver, thankfully the guy with a gun was smiling and wished me luck.
We drove to the hotel and my luck continued, no rooms and my name not on any reservations..hmm well after a long Portuguese conversation I did not understand I all off a sudden was on the list and had a bed to sleep in. It was now way passed midnight, I wasn't sure how time went by so quick.
Today I got up, figured I'd shower quick before breakfast. Took me about 15 min to figure the shower out and when done I had a been "hit" by the flying showerhead and flooded the floor. Maybe I should have pulled the line from the ceiling marked SOS. Good thing I fuel on these kinda of experiences :)
Today I'm trying to cover Lisboa, so what better way than the subway system. I got a map and walked my way to the subway, I then learned why time went so quick. It was one hour earlier than my watch. Guess I didn't complete pushing the buttons when I set it at the airport last night. Well it felt like I earned yet another hour, great, I should use this trick more often.
I took the subway to the far end on the blue line to have a walk at the waterfront, though the map didn't say it was covered in construction work and fences and barricades block the water view. Or mention. That u get offered sunglasses and small bags of green herbs as u exit the subway! 1 hour walk along and still just fences. I'll walk a bit further in the hope of some water and then subway to next stop and see what it brings.
Beautiful day, 24 and sunny!

Happy exploring!
Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry device on the Bell network.
Envoyé sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le réseau de Bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment