Sunday, April 03, 2011

weekend of celebration..

...of old age and more snow!

But it didn't slow us down too much.

Friday I picked up Mer at the airport and went to the regular red's breakfast place, I'm starting to think I really need to explore different breakfast places around the city, but this one is safe. Made it home in time to join the noon ride that Alana put on. The weather wasn't as great as we expected but we got in two hours, but to Jeff's disappointment we never made it to the coffee shop in Cochrane.
Enjoyed a good movie, and even better ice cream after. The weather had start turning at that point so I figured Saturday ride was probably not in the plan.
And that was the view from my car Saturday morning on our way to Tim's birthday breakfast. So the day was spend running around after a little trip to the dog park. Enjoyed a great dinner and evening at home. Mer made my favorite beef salad and of course some more ice cream. Another movie, but this time not as successfully as Friday.

Sunday was airport drop off then attempt to get some exercise after a lay low week. I was out of luck until I figured I'll see if anyone is doing group ride, sent Erik a message and sure enough, he was on his way out for a solo, and now we all of a sudden had a group ride! Yay, that beats getting gators out to go snow hike the mountains!
Since the focus of my training these days is Portugal, I brought the newly addition to the gear, my Oregon550, the GPS recommended to use for the race. Besides "loosing" the map, and not figuring out how to stop the timer I think I'm getting the hang of it. It's a bit hard to read off when in shade, but there should be some setting on it to fix that. And the symbols for peach trees is of course missing, but according to Erik will be a treat in Portugal. The cool camera feature works well too, I just twist it up and click, and a picture... and not too bad quality I'd say.

Awesome day to be out, mostly clear roads, but a little bit of this.....

A little snack in Cochrane. Erik posing for a little camera test...

Happy it wasn't too much of this, but at least we made it up on first attempt...better drive in our engines than a good old minivan which needed three attempts!!

this is what you get if you forget to twist the GPS unit up....
The ride definitely made my day, as I had pretty much discounted the day and classified as another rest day. And it couldn't have been much better of a day for a ride.

So all in all a great birthday weekend, and now I don't have to worry about getting older for anther year :)
Just dropped a load of cloths, drinks and lunches at work so plan to take advantage of the weather this week and ride to work everyday. I have 3 more weeks to ride my self in the kind of shape that will let me survive 9 days of pedaling through Portugal.

Happy riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment