Sunday, January 12, 2014

Back in winter...

...wonderland. It's pretty neat that in less than 24 hours I had a nice little road ride in dry sunny AZ and a long ride in sideways snowy/rainy cold Alberta foothills.

Fun road ride with Steve before leaving sunny AZ
Saturday freak storm ride (Erik's version)


At first I thought I'd have to solo the ride as by almost 9am I was still the only one at our regular spot. I wasn't too upset as legs really could so good with a easy spin day. But I had somehow given them the idea I was not coming so time had changed and by 9 both Erik and Jeff were there ready to ride - so my little wish of a reason to bail gone.
We road north roads to Cochrane. It felt much cooler than what forecast had said and without my poggies I had my first really cold hands ride of the season. 
After a coffee and soup stop the sun had warmed things up and we were pretty happy to be going again, well for the first few minutes. "Kate check your right shoulder" Erik said and it was dark! Hmm could we stay ahead? We took the old bridge way out of Cochrane which now is my regular in or out if looking for short, as it keeps you off all highway most of the way and connects the bike paths nicely. We did not make it though, super heavy winds and snow mixed with rain hammered us sideways until we got to enjoy it from behind for a bit, then some more sideways beating before Springbank airport road - and we were flying. From the turn to just before the Edge I did not take one pedal stroke! Fun times - soaking times... Erik and Thomas (who joined us in Cochrane) took the south route back while Jeff and I ventured north in to the Valley Ridge single track - last bit of fun. Great day - tired legs - happy mind.

A little bit of trails...
 
Not a real ride without Coffee and soup...
 
Thomas showed up - road with the roadies to Cochrane and got freckled by them...

Sunday short ride that ended long but good...(Erik's version, but lets make it clear - I only ride ahead of them so we can make it home quicker as my legs and body was dying slowly I'm just good at hiding the pain.... and if it wasn't for my nominated "kings" I wouldn't get out)


Late start today and when I arrived at Cadence Shawn was already there. First I wasn't sure if it was Shawn, the half eaten muffin and not so well looking guy wasn't the Shaw we usually see. A few hockey outings and this is what happens. He insisted this was as far as he would ride today. Devon shows up a few minutes later and he almost instantly left as he was on a mission for a efficient 2-3 hrs ride. We convinced him Erik was just around the corner and we would head out quick. Erik arrived and the four of us set out....

The loop ended up being much the same as yesterday but backwards, and a few minor changes. We avoided the Valley Ridge single track, and did a little hike across the field. And quickly made it to the Edge school for a Shawn emergency stop....
Devon went south on 22 while the rest of us went to Cochrane for soup and coffee. The ride home felt really hard. But the last bit of Tuscany single track put a big smile back... Great ride - very very tired legs - happy tired mind...
 
Nice arena, Erik having a snack - for future rides know they serve hotdogs and nachos!!
 
Coffee and soup time.... Shawn finally able to eat...

Fancy fender fixing....
My goal for my time off was volume - the last 8 days I've had just over 31 hrs on the bike and most I'd say is good quality rides, that does not include any of the hiking/skiing prior - so far loading is working. That is the most I've ever put in unless I'm stage racing. Tomorrow will be easy day and time to run errands and then a few more days left trying to get some final volume in to complete my 3 week cycle before a week of rest when back up north. The rest should bring the fitness around. It's about 7 weeks to Nepal and from next week I'm back on my tree day weekend program, which proved last year that can work. Goal for Nepal is simple - have enough fitness not get injured and be able to finish.

Happy Training!





No comments:

Post a Comment