Thursday, May 05, 2011

TP day 5,

Day 5 was by far my hardest day. The 144 km seem to never end. It was a planned "rest" day, but rest assure that did not feel like rest. There was no big climbs to speak of, neither was there any down hills to speak of, so I had pedal and pedal very much alone all day. I went back and forth on how hard I should pedal, if I took a regular approach my bike just didnt move, and the km on the GPS didnt move either. If I pushed it a bit at least I'd role in some km and possible make it back for dinner. Trying to stay positive on a day like this is hard, and if I said I was 100% of the time I'd be lying. But you try, and I did. Highlights are checkpoints and the smiles when going through them, my new friend below in the picture who let me draft for a second, and his toothless awesome smile, the Garmin pickup with Antonio cheering on and giving updates, a can of coke at 110km (by the way my first water-stop which wasn't smart), Henry from South Africa that passed while I had my coke and let me hang on almost to the finish, and of course the finish line in the castle. (and yes, a castle is always put on the highest top around here in Portugal). If I were to list the low points I can't really remember them in detail, and that is why this is so great, regardless of how hard of a day you always end up with the gain of some great experiences. 

Tomorrow 
165 km
3000+ elevation
My start 737 am
Group start 830am

After the first 15 km this will be another Portugal flat day, and after today's stage I'm on empty tank, hopefully some magic can happen in my sleep and I'm ready to go again.

Erik and John seemed to have had a good day, besides a involuntary piercing of Eriks ear.  While superstar Craig, had a few flats to deal with and have now officially ditched the lightweight tires. But he was still a superstar being one of 3 as far as I know to clear a very steep climb, not short either.

Happy racing !




*****************
kate aardal
*****************
Sent from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:41 PM

    Go Kate! It´s almost done.
    Save some fuel to tne final km's of stage 8, on saturday. It will be rough.

    René

    ReplyDelete