Thursday, May 05, 2011

TP Day 6,

So no magic over night, I woke up with empty tank, and for some reason my eyes swollen shut. It took a bit to get ready to walk in public for some breakfast, bit managed to get down shortly after 6, plenty of time to my start at 737. Though eating is not as easy, seems like everything I try is not what my body wants, but force down some egg and bread, coffee, and a bowl of cornflakes. Legs were extremely tired right off the start, and I was very early on wondering how long this 165 km stage would be. The first 15 or so km is climbing, pretty steep in parts took me about an hour. The cobblestone decent down was so bumpy it shook so hard my vision was all blurred at the end. I also ended up getting a flat, my first so far, but I quickly put some co2 in and the stans did it's magic. But maybe a bit too quick as I forgot to close my seat pouch and rode the remainder 140 or so km with no tools as when I finally noticed they were gone. Today it went slow, after the decent the stage looked a lot like yesterday's struggle to the end. I was pretty much in granny as soon as the road had any gradient to it going up, not great. Figured it would be a long day. But because of my very slow pace, the south African, Henry and his ride buddy (Bart, or Burt?) were on my wheel pretty early, actually before I was on Ann who star as the very first woman, and that was a first. So for about 100km I rode with these guys and what a different race feel, it was great, hard as heck, but in a group I'm able to dig a little deeper, and they also had tools, so good to stick with them :) About 60 km from the finish I think, a group of three got us, and I was happy to see Craig was one of them! Nice work, we had a short moment of fun hanging on but on the first climb let them go. It also helped to be in a group for opening and shutting gates today. I struggled with one for a few minutes on my own earlier trying to untangle the wire so it would shut. With the group I hang on to a bike while the boys would shut. Not too many stories from the day, it was up then down, fields and towns and then of course the finish line town has a castle, so guess what? The ride ended with the famous cobble stone climb to the top. I had to let the guys go, but only a km to the finish so happy I lasted that long.

Craig, the super goat, got another stage win! John had a day in the van after a few tire mishaps, which is too bad, he was riding very good. Erik had a good day as well, but didn't get any update yet.

Tomorrow another flat day, and I think my rest day is due. It might be the perfect day to ride easy until Henry gets there then push. We will see...right now I can't even picture sitting on a bike (saddle has been great, but it's been a few hours too many in it.)

Took a couple of shots, but update when I get them off gps

Happy racing! For 3 more days..:)

*****************
kate aardal
*****************
Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment