Sunday, May 11, 2014

TP 2014 - Stage 3

... the mountain stage!


Pre-race:
3 big climbs, and some others of less length. The carrot for this stage is the amazing hotel in the mountain, the quicker you get there the more time you spend enjoying :)

Last time I rode this stage several people did not finish, it was very cold and rain (even hail/snow) and it was no views, barley view of what was right in front of you. Today we will get to experience the real beauty of this stage with some wicked climbs and amazing views from the highest points in Portugal (we don't actually reach the peak but close). Might drop to the 10 degree mark at the top which will be a nice break for me. My start is shortly after 8, based on course record of just under 5 hrs, which is fast. Both my attempts are just under 7, so plan on a long day in (or out) of the saddle. 

Post race update: 

It was as hard as I remember it. The first three hours consisted mostly of me convincing my brain my body didn't hurt and that I really love this. I eventually won that game a long 3 hours in. Not too long after Jose came flying by, I thought I'd share my view of his butt and skinny legs the last three days, but by the time I got my camera ready, well he was up the hill (if you look very closely he is up there in the first picture below).

We hit a lot of high speed loose and rocky descents, I'm doing about 70-80% but even then slightly worried about my skimpy Burt's, but I must say I'm impressed. Hit the rim once (one of the famous rattle your brain decent that goes and goes forever), but not a psi lost. And for the amount of sharp rock we hit today, I'm either lucky or these things were a good choice, that said, definitely not blindly hammering down. Knock on wood though - still ways to go.
After the shake me up decent the next two climbs really feel like one massive climb from 17 to 50 k and even after that you have a few little peaks like the observatory before you really get a break. I started looking behind me at the start of this, 17 k in! It's how slow it felt, realizing quickly the main group would have barley started at this point :) The climbs were steep so my 24 front was very welcomed today! It hasn't seen this much use in one day of riding ever. Compared to last time, the trails were dry and only one section were true hike a bike (think of Powder face boulder decent). The second part of the climb and some descents to 50km mark is a little like Moab jeep roads, but the sand and rock is much coarsere. Just before 70km I got to enjoy some fast decending before the start the last climb. Until this point I never felt the expected 10 degrees, the sun was hot but not brutal. During the decent I could feel the air heating up, by the time I hit bottom it was a balming 28 (riders after me measured even warmer). 

Had a quick water stop to make sure I was good to the top, it was a long long way up! I rode slalom on the step climb to get any shade I could find, but I'm here for the sun, so much prefer this over last times shivering ride. As you get higher and higher the views get better and better. I look back once in a while but no other riders. By the time I hit the last CP I should be safe, a small pitch before a super crazy fun road decent for over 15km right to the hotel!, hard to catch anyone I'd think. Besides the 200m of slight up as you go through the parking lot, I mean really slight, but with the wind today I barley made it :) 

Happy to be at this amazing location for a night. Great food, great massage and great rest! Only 6 to go! 

The statistician, my dad, had a busy day, having to drive further to avoid doing off roading with the car. But made most of the CP's. And had no near miss in a castle village today, getting to know his GPS lady and not taking her advice blindly. Numbers have it I cut a little time off this stage compared to last time, but conditions were much improved today.

Happy Riding!

He is up there in yellow!
Start of a long climb
The "up hill" finish


No comments:

Post a Comment