Monday, May 12, 2014

TP 2014 - Stage 4

... the first of the "flat" stages. But those who know, know Portugal flat is not to say easy.

Pre race:

107km today, last time it took me a while with a few flat tires. I hopefully have learned and know the very first decent will have some rock. 

Body feels sore after the first three stages, my hope is it'll get into the groove sooner than yesterday, and keep it steady. Blue sky and up towards 30 today, hydration will be important. Had a great dinner last night, and so many options for breakfast this morning it was hard to choose - until next time Unhale de Serra!




Post race update:

Ok, I must be too old for this. I watched a few people crossing the finish at the end of the day, smiling and looked like they have had a great day out there; some new memories with a friend or two, some photos, coffee stops and all the things I enjoy but that wasn't my day - but it sure sounds nice right about now. 
My day was noisy from the wind, pain in places that should not have pain, and just trying to survive. Well, that was the first half at least. It got better; the things I enjoy came back again. Looking back this stage has some fun parts to it, two longer climbs for those who enjoy that (me included), some rollers and punchy hills, some very steep hills including one castle visit, and some road. A little bit for everyone! The road and the wind made for less solo folks, the folks behind me seem to have found their partners and are starting to figure out the need of working together. The first pair cought me after a fairly long road section and very windy. I was happy to see them, but unfortunately that was it for the section of flat road. They fell back on the climb and didn't see them again. Next two was Jose and a guy hanging on for dear life. I had just stopped for water and was drinking and moving slow, but quickly tried to get my self together to hang on for the fun for a little bit. It was a perfect section, enough wind to make it possible for a few minutes. But unfortunately the guy in front of me had done what he could and slowed down and me not able to get around to hang on to Jose. And closing a gap was not in the books today (or any day if the guy is Jose). I figured if the guy with Jose could hang on jose he should be a good one to ride with. But he was spent and fell back as well. So onwards on my own. 
About 77km in we do one little road section were Craig and the boys caught me in 2011, before the last longer climb up to the castle. A wicked switchback coble stone climb, steep but not too steep. Just before turning off the road two riders come flying by so fast even if I wanted to take a wheel I would have had no change. Unfortunately for them it was time to turn right. Didn't see them again after the climb. 
The decent down was a killer on the sore feet, shoulder and bum, but so much potential for fun. And from there in it's lots of rolling terrain, fast when not into the wind. By about 100km the last pair cought me, on a steep rockie decent that I was not taking any chances on this close to finish. Luis and Malcolm were not worried, they both flew by me! Not much longer a short but wall looking hill, we all rode up, but I bet if I was alone I would have walked. Peer pressure is so good sometimes. It was nice to ride with a couple people, chat a little, sit on a wheel and enjoy. Rode with them to the finish. Rough day, but so nice to complete.

So that was the "easy day". Tomorrow is longer one, think 144km.

Happy Riding!








No comments:

Post a Comment