Sunday, June 29, 2014

Fernie3 2014 Day 2...

... also on the Ridgemont side. A little longer day, 35 plus km and it was around 2hrs 25. Official results not yet posted.



With some pretty crazy rain last night I wasn't sure what to expect today. The forecast looked good, and waking up it looked promising. Last night I did my routine, total bike clean, fixed seat :) 

Today the start was lined up different, the girls (young and old) where in the last start shoot - did we ride to slow yesterday? we couldn't figure that one out, but in the end it doesn't really matter, there is a bit of a road section and quiet a bit of double track climbing to start.

Made sure not to be too far back when the climbing started, we headed up some double track towards the original roots accent - on of my regular rides when I used to live down here, but now with no trees around it. Mical set the pace for the group we rode with, it was fast, but a little bit more sensible than yesterday (at least how I felt). Sandra was on her wheel, then me and the rest. Besides a stick that got stuck in the front derauler but quickly fell out with a little wiggle, the bike was perfect today, the mind was in it and I enjoyed every minute of the climb up. Had to loose the glasses as I can't seem to figure out how to not have the fog up, so as we crested to start descending Hyper vent I was debating to stop to put them on. With a whole crew behind me I chose not to - it was a wet muddy decent and Sandra didn't have her wrap around fenders on for me - so it was an interesting decent a few times while trying to clear mud out of the eyes. When we got down to the road they had us to left (last weekend the gps had me go right). I wasn't sure where we were going, but after riding behind a few guys I figured it will go to another single track so we better boot it up. And I could see Steve just up the road. Got to Steves wheel and hung on up the road - thanks Steve! Going in to the single track I figured I'd let Mical go - but she was not there! So instead Sandra went - which was ok, she is on a fully and knows how to ride down. She hung on to Steve just fine - fun little decent down to the feed barn. As we got to the flat Sandra put the hammer down. Did my best to hang on, but on the second flat section before climbing the gap was too big. Settled in my pace behind Steve, got a little to comfy on some new climbs (kiddy up and Queen v I think), so decided to pass. Steve woke up from his nap shortly after and on the road climb up to Eriks trail he was back to riding hard. Road up Eriks trail to Deadfall, up to Rtrail, crossed over to Kush, Kusher, Kussiest??... with Steve just in front of me, setting a good pace. On the road section I was tempted to try to get his wheel, but didn't really have it, chose to drink a little (and let loose the rest of my drink to nature...). Then in on the Coal Discovery Trail, a great xc trail, the wet made it extra fun, throwing you a bit of a surprise once in a while. Never got Steves wheel again, and never saw Sandra, but made it to the finish feeling I rode as hard as I could through the whole course, that is not usually something I do, I usually always have a "nap" along the way. Fun day, felt motivated and when you get to ride these kinds of trails you just have to be happy :)

Off to the other side of the river tomorrow, lots of fun trails on the agenda!
And though it just poured down and a little bit of thunder the forecast does say some sunshine :)

Happy Riding!
 

Alana and Lisa had a good day, no broken seat, only a warped wheel for Lisa - need to last one more day.
 
 

 

Post stage 2 - pre wash....
Post wash.... all set for another day...





No comments:

Post a Comment