Sunday, July 06, 2014

Last minute Golden...

... riding, and no regrets!

Saturday CBT/Moonrakers/Canyon Creek

Wake-up early, drop dogs at friends cabin (little bit of trouble with landlady ops), quick stop at Tim's, off to ride:


The goal was to ride Stage 5 of the Single Track 6 coming up later this month. Prepared I thought, with a gps file of the route, studied the map to make sure I went in the right direction, but quickly realize my GPS file only goes for 19 of the 53 km...ops number 2. Something must have happened during download - oh well, now I got to practice my artistic side (non-existent but oh well). The map only had the trail lines for the race, so while having no idea of names, intersection etc, I made an attempt of "paining" the same pattern on my screen as my paper map.
A bit of being lost, but CBT, Moonrakers, Canyon Creek and Arrowhead, where this day is at, is just super fun regardless of what trail you end up on.  Fast, flowy and some wicked exposure that with my scare of height definitely got some additional adrenaline flowing!

Why I have not ridden here before is a mystery - so much fun!
 
Ops, should have checked this at home...
2 GPS's, a map and a whole lot of trail markers - still a very difficult area to navigate - but in the end, just pick one you will be smiling!
 
Canyon Creek trail view
 
It was exposed!
Canyon creek is a downhill - the way up was nice and gradual, with some fun trails included
 
The river is way down there - don't wanna make a mistake right turn on this trail!
Then just chill for the night at the cabin - I chilled, the rest was still full of energy...
Sequoia right at home, spot right next to the woolfs center - and maybe too close to the landlord lady...
ok, so I lost....but at least I'm sitting down playing it...
Some dinner - and dinner table Yoga??
Some awesome "healthy" chees cake!
And some marshmallows getting ready to be squished in crackers and chocolate...

Sunday Mtn. Shadows trail network

Wake-up sort of early, left dogs at cabin, head to McD for breakfast, get riding in before Sarah and Mer wanna ride and dogs are on me:


 
Stage 4 was on the agenda today. Mtn. Shadows trail network. GPS file was checked and looked like it should be an easy day of navigation! Not!! but again, only good trails, so no such thing as being lost.  The day started with a fairly long road climb up to the first decent of the day - all smiles! Super fun, fast, technical, views and all you need to have fun. Too fun to stop for a shot - but trust me there will be happy people (and if not careful some hurting people) coming down this one! From there it was a little bit of everything, great trails again, but at one point I wasn't sure if I had got turned around and riding the trails in the wrong direction - hate to admit it - I walked a bit! Had a little bit of a fight with the GPS so got to ride one section of trails three times - and one day this will have to be redone going the other way! With so many trails close to each other, when poor signal you might be off track....
 
 
Awesome morning for a ride!
oh yes ! look forward to this one!
 

Lots of good views - this climb was fun and kept you on the watch every minute, techy and at times I was wondering if we should have came down it - think the race comes up, but definitely on the list for coming down one day.
Well, since I got to ride this section 3 times, I thought I had to take a shot...fun trail tucked along the mountain side.
Well used maps, both days.....

Bring bug spray if you plan to stop! This little guy didn't make it, but he died happy with some sweet Norwegian blood!

So all in all a great weekend - the 2 1/2 hr drive out is not bad, definitely will make this a destination for future rides.

Happy Riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment