Wednesday, August 14, 2013

BE 2013 day 4 - the grinder...

...is what we were told and it was true. Long 44 miles, wicked views, challenging climbs and fun descents. Sort of what a long day on the bike should be :)


Recap of what I still remember. Did a final Starbucks stop 10 min before start and never had to stop during the first climb! Highlight of my day :)
Today's start (stolen of FB)

Moderate pace didn't last very long today. As soon as the gravel hit everyone seemed fresh and ready to go. Amanda went early up front and I couldn't hang on so kept my pace as usual. During the decent sometime I got back on track, but just as quick as I was caught up we lost the lead by taking a wrong turn. I thought I didn't seem right but made the mistake to follow. It happens. There were some guys with us as well when the road ended we turned back and about 4 min according to strava times. Back on track but not in a good position. As we came through first feed I wasn't sure how many girls were ahead. I stopped and did my feed routine, while Amanda went on, and that's the last we road together today. We went up and down about 3 more times before feed 2. Mostly good trails. Passed a girl I've not seen yet this race, who else where up front? Saw Sue climbing one section so this was good motivation. She was having a hard day. Next climb was fairly open so I could see Amanda ahead. Pushed as hard as I could. 
Feed two came and grabbed a fresh bottle and some lube for my chain to prepare for the big climb. 7-8 miles long! Mostly road and double track, gradual up is probably my weakest area and I struggled. Just kept it going, not fast. Shoulder was really not happy today so worked on stretches and different positions to keep mind busy. Survived the climb. Some fun descending and through feed 3 I was told 1min 45 to Amanda. Ouch, and one smaller but hard climb before the final decent. I dug as deep as I could and all of a sudden I see Kristin (the Norwegian girl). She had an awesome day and was climbing strong. It took a while and digging some more to get passed. During the final decent I could see Amanda one switchback ahead of me, great...but this loose stuff is not my friend so rather than closing the gap I'm sure she made it bigger. Forgot all about possible flats as we road some sketchy rockie sections high speed. And all of a sudden the finish was there... Second again. 14 seconds back. Kristin came shortly after in third.... Norwegians kicking butt :)

The rest of the day was as all the others. I try to plan for some down time, but it seem to be go go until bed. Just finished setting up the dually, yes, see how it does. Save my shoulder and have some fun. Well what I hope anyway. 
Quick swap of cranks and all set...

Quick note on Enduro, since its sort of missing. There is a category and some are reg for it, though they let anyone be part of it by loading data to strava each night. I'm not paying too much attention to it, but it is a fun element. If the trail is clear I'm gona go as fast as I can either way, but often this is hit and miss, and for the real Enduro racers I would think that they put some strategy to it. So far I've done good, and have three wins, I think at least once or twice per day I've been fortunate to have clear path and most people are pretty good at giving you the space to go (though that said, my friend from yesterday appeared in front a couple times again today, and takes is sweet time to find a safe spot).
Since I can't tell from strava what are segments, I never know how I did until the next days award. So today, not sure, felt I was riding behind someone on most of descents beside the very last one so we will see.

Happy Riding!  

Stole some other shots since I've been absent in photo taking.

Stage 3 somewhere...
Today's award, Amanda still about 5-6 min ahead. Sue fell back a few minutes today.
Today's award for Enduro .... Sue is definitely a contender, ripping it up. 

Food has been great, many cool spots in town...awesome tomato soup and kish (spelling?)

The deadgoats are ripping it up in the mixxed, Steve and Julie still in the lead, 27 seconds!
Rick and Rob doing well, but where is Rick? Hot tub?

No comments:

Post a Comment