Friday, August 16, 2013

BE 2013 day 6 - leave it all out there...

... was the strategy; though knowing top position was out of reach on a short day, second could easily be lost if I had a bad day, only 4 min on Sue. Two long fast descents and two climbs, shortest day of the week. Back on my HT and during my pre spin legs felt they would need a little bit to settle in and my back was not happy. But as most last days in stage races the extra bit of adrenaline covers up all pains and as long as you tell legs to keep going they sort of will. 

Start was moderate for a very short time. I hoped to keep up to pace to avoid bottle neck that I'd heard of. Did ok, Amanda has this extra output before each down or single track that I can't match and she got in front. We still hadn't started the main climb, so probably ok. She set the pace and eventually we were down to the main road climb up. Closed the gap to a guy that set a pretty good pace up the road, but eventually had to let him go. Saw the feed and today I had no intentions of stopping at feed. The single track down starts just after the feed on the road. Noticed Amanda getting ready for a bottle, so made sure I went quick to get in on trail ahead. From there I gave every bit I had, with out risking a silly flat or wipe out. Super fun decent. I especially enjoyed the bottom section, on dirt in the trees. But of course the road came too soon. Time to climb again. Last one of the week. 8 miles or so, tried not to look back and just pedal. It was long and hard and windy gravel road, snaking its way back up to the same feed as we went through before. Just before the top I could see pink behind me. Got to the top, didn't need drink since all down from here. Big ring and pedal as hard as I could. Short section of gravel before single track. And then, a Spain repeat, a bump knocked the chain off big ring. Stopped quick, but it had managed to create two twists on the chain. Ever put a new chain on, trying to untangle? Well, after fiddling fixing one bend, creating a new...Amanda came by, she slowed down and I took a deep breath, focused, looked carefully and got the puzzle right. Got on and back on track. Thanks to Amanda for the nice gesture letting me catch on, only few meters before the decent. Super fast double track to start, fun but had to watch line for rocks, and I knew by Amanda's gesture before entering she was not going to hammer and risk any big time loss by a flat or mechanical, smart, but I didn't know where Sue was in the mixture. Then some road for a bit before hitting the very last section of single track that Tim took us on day 0. I knew this section so left the last of what was left and a great trail to finish this day on. Big smiles by everyone coming down :)

It's been a great week with a little bit of everything. Very well put on event, great volunteers, great town, perfect weather, experience in higher elevations, spectacular views, great racing. My take back for next time would be; fly down or have more time to enjoy the town, as I'm already packing to get on the roads after awards tonight. 


Happy Riding!


No comments:

Post a Comment