Thursday, August 15, 2013

BE 2013 day 5 - oh the smell of bacon...

...at the top of wheelers pass was maybe the only highlight of my day, though the decent after was quiet good. This part of the course would be a great ride with some good friends to enjoy it with and a shuttle at the end. Took some time to look at the views even though heights are not my thing :)

Climb of The start

Didn't feel very recovered today bit after four hard days that might just be perfectly normal. We started with the big climb of the day pretty much right off the start. A little bit of single track decent to get us woke up then up and up and eventually off the bikes hiking. I could always see the lead girls but made the mistake of just doing my thing as long as they were in sight. As we started the hike a bike section my group was not walking fast; well relative to the groups ahead as the gap grew. I thouht maybe I should try to get by but it was steep and just a tiny goat track. So settled in. Then the bacon. It smelled good. As we crested I was told it was about 4 min already to the girls! Crap.. That is a lot of time to try to catch on a 15 min down. I road the decent hard but safe. Had to get by a few people that today were awesome at finding first opportunities to let me by. It was rockie and super fast, a mistake could be bad so I kept race out of mind and fun factor super high. The full suspension might have been overkill for what to come but I totally loved it for this. At the bottom which came so quick I saw no girls in sight. And now a long section of paved road and bike path. Yikes. Headwind of course and it just never ended. Got to hang on a super fast guy for a bit but couldn't keep the cadence it required for very long. I was still hoping that some good trails would come out of all this work. At feed two we had dropped to 8500 ft and according to my note we had to get back up to about 10500! Grind up some less fun stuff, then walked some, ride some, walk some. By now I was not impressed, this was suppose to be the big decending day ...according to those who know.. Bike path decending I guess. Then some single track from rooty and rocks to smooth.... And the finish...at last, dug as deep as I could. 

Lost some time today so with probably 10 min off the lead, not possible to get on a short stage tomorrow that includes quiet a bit of road, no my favorite. Ill have to dig deep to even keep my current position, with about 4 min to Sue who is very strong both up and down. Retiring the FS and 24/38 crank, and going all out. Sounds like a good plan :)


Happy riding!


No comments:

Post a Comment