Sunday, May 06, 2012

Portugal Day 2...

... just as hard as I remember it from last year.

It felt good in the beginning and i love the decent about 10km km on the old Roman stone going right down to the bottom of the valley and then takes you back up on the other side. Other highlights; a couple of Roman bridge crossings, some fun technical climbs; followed by same terrain going down on the other side, some Moab like riding with rock surface mixed with sand and off course seeing my dad at all the CPs. Though looks like he missed the finish again, he is planning a new tactic for the day tomorrow so he can beat me, have time to eat and who knows, maybe some golf

Vitor cought me early today and was nice to slow down for a few man to let me ride the wheel, so nice. But as soon as slopes up a bit Im just not strong enough. So back in my lonesome.
At about 20 km before the finish Henry was on. Solo. He is riding so strong, took his wheel and worked hard on the flats to keep it. He seem stronger climbing this year or maybe last year he was nice to the Dutch that usually rode with him, or maybe im not as strong on the hills, either way I really get pushed to my limits so we will see if can use the benefit of riding with Henry later in the race as last year. Be good if I can.
Very close to the finish two Portuguese guys passed by on a climb, felt like i was standing still. Which I probably were. Henry stuck with me for a sec, I told him to go get them and off he went with a smile. Didnt hold to the end but he nicely bridged the gap and showed those kids how to ride on your own!

From there I rode the slowest 4km I've done. Got passed by another rider but legs could barley turn. About 35 min! And so happy to see the hotel. Think I need to find something good to eat; not getting enough in me on the bike, less than kates standard, not sure what i could put in my pouch for tomorrow massive mountain leg....one bar, a waffle and two drinks in 6hrs..with air buns for breakfast!

Got all my split times and stats compared to pretty much every rider in the top ten or twelve ...good job; dad! I shaved off 30 or so minutes from last year in pretty much same conditions. So happy with my day
Had an awesome massage, some good snacks and got Katy's update. She had a good day out there, finished with a bike in order and walking around on her own legs and survived a few dog chases out there. Good for another day tomorrow after a massage.

Time to rest then dinner...

Happy Riding!



1 comment:

  1. Nice work! Get some more fuel in you for tomorrow! Here's hoping sleep found you. Good to hear both you and Katy are out-pacing the dogs! Your dad rocks!

    ReplyDelete