Friday, May 11, 2012

Portugal Day 6...

...that means 3 to go!

165 km is a long ride. My legs felt like rocks as we started from the hotel. And pretty much right off the hook we are off climbing. Felt like it would would be a long day. Then down some cobble stone that really shoock you good; that woke me up at least. Tried to keep a steady pace and rode a little with with Lisalore and the guy from Victoria, Rob. They both were strong today. When we were off the pavement and on to the dirt I felt I probably should pick up the pace; though looking back at the day I don't know if putting in much extra before Henry catch me make much sense. Thouh, left them and rode until close to the 100km mark when Henry came up on me. We rode together for the next 20 km then Vitor came up behind. He rode with us; i was thinking that would be good, Henry can get bit of a better pull than I had to offer. But Vitor sort of just cruised with us. Said not to worry about the guys they are far back. Henry kept taking the pull and not more than 20 km from finish or so was Rui behind us. Vitor pulled back to help him bridge the gap to us. Not sure if that was their plan but all of a sudden the pace went up. I held on for a little bit but had to let go at the exact place were I let Henry go last year. At that point I had goosebumps and feeling chilled in about 40 degrees (unofficial temp of day); and I felt empty. I knew if I could hang on the next 12km to the finish would be that much easier and quicker....but when u don't have it you don't har it...simple.
They got 12 min I think... The climb up to the castle almost broke me but I made it. I was happy to hear Henry hung on to the end and took stage win, he is a machine and deserved it, even thouh this might put him ahead of me.

Now legs; knees and achilies specially, feel done. Tomorrow is a flat day of 140'ish km and 2000m so hopefully they will pull through. It is also called for hotter weather and if something will get me its the heat. It definitly got me good today. Drank well so that will be the plan tomorrow.

Katy had another solid day out there and riding her self in shape. Said today her legs felt the best this week. Hopefully the sunburn heals up quick. Her Norwegian bar buddy got his bike fixed so he will be back tomorrow to make sure they have an entertaining day with good stories.

Some other guy was not as lucky today. With 36 gate crossings he managed to not see one on the bottom of a fast decent and went head over it. A couple of broken arms and in hospital is not anything you want to any of your fellow racers.

Dad had a good day even thouh golf course was closed. He was at a few of the checkpoint and ran with me up to the final bit of the castle climb; just to see me ride down on the other side...he thought the top was the finish. He was not about to run down the hill too. So missed the finish line but much better view from up there anyway.

Time to rest up!

Happy riding !




1 comment:

  1. Glad to see the blog post come through. I hope the heat was less of an issue for Day 7! Looks like you held in there. So strong! Keep pedaling!

    ReplyDelete