Monday, May 07, 2012

Portugal Day 3...

...wow, not sure were to start. Think ill have to save most and share over coffee after a group ride. It is suppose to be hard, if you come in thinking anything else you will suffer more than most. We all physically suffer equally, then it's up to the strength of your mind to pull you through it. Mine got a real test today.
This stage was my favorite last year, and same goes this year as for the type of riding. But compared to last years awesome views to help the smiles come out this year i was covered in rain and fog with about a 10 meter view for most of it.

It all started quiet nice. I loved the first decent on the cobble, wakes you up thats for sure. The climbs were not too bad but with the wind and some logging going on it definitly slowed it down. But felt I went in a decent pace and focused on eating a gel every hour. And every second I also had a waffle with it. Though a bottle and a half might be something i can work on tomorrow. Though I was frozen more that sweating
today so think i was good.

The first major climb ended and just a bit down (60km in) Vitor comes by. With a smile like the other days. I figure since its defending for the next 10-15 km I could possible hang on. Thouh with no glasses on and wet it was hard; put glasses on quick and saw less; stopped again to take them off and he was gone. Oh well; fun for 10 seconds; take what i can get :)

Second climb started on the road and thouh by time so frozen both shifting and breaking is done awkwardly and only when really necessary, i was in pretty good spirit. The climb brought back a lot from last year. This is where the 4 passes me one by one; Craig being one. So I kept looking back. The wind was so hard I felt i went backwards. And close to the top is when my mind lost its normal positive outlook. When I finally reached the second last top it flatten out a; i was happy for a minute bit quickly fell apart in the heavy wind and wet sand just sucking the last bit of energy out of me; while looking back hoping I didnt get cought. At last CP still no sign of the boys. Now only about 100 or so elevation on the road and them all down. I tried to push a bit harder but bike didnt really move much faster. I remember thinking if they come Ill just fall down and quit. Not a good positive thought so it sort of made me smile on the inside thinking we put our self thouh this by choice. <br>
I made it and the 15 km road decent; little flat gravel section, I tried to hang on the handlebar with my chilled hands and give her in the pouring rain at this time. Actually used the GPS to navigate when to look up; as glasses didnt work today, made it extra exciting.

Crossed the finish second! So happy and so tired. Just like a stage race should make you feel.
Katy had a good day; didnt think it was as hard; she had a Norwegian guy to ride with so of course the Norwegian have that affect. She had a coffee shop stop and thought about shopping a bit, took lots of picture when the fog let up and now enjoying some time on the massage table.

My dad finally made it to the finish line...mostly due to no views so went to hotel.

His stats are telling me I had the 7 best total time and 2 with handicap. Got second overall back.

Off to some great dinner at the awesome hotel H2.

Happy riding!


2 comments:

  1. What an awesome account of an inspiring example of pushing one's limits. Thanks for sharing the story from the inside out. You make many people proud and ... you inspire us to dig deep too. Tomorrow a new day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone has their own way of dealing with the "alone" feeling on solo sections or days, or just when the going gets tough. The body can drive harder than the mind lets it many times. You're doing awesome overall. And if you're needing something to take your mind off... just picture you're riding with all your friends. I often picture that Shawn/Devin/Jon/Craig and you are just ahead if I could catch them... the feeling of chasing them my whole life is motivating.

    ReplyDelete