Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Portugal Day 4...

<p>...didnt start as Id hoped.Couldn't find the bike garage this morning so as yeaterday I just made the start though thats pretty good as Katy wasn't as lucky while looking for her bike.</p>
<p>8 km in on some fun rocky decent i got my first flat. I usually put extra Stans in and it was pouring out pretty bad. I watched it for a sec hoping it would seal, put some more in but still no seal. So here I figured this would be the test of the super tubes. The first one lasted for about 1km! Leaking around the vent on a climb. Hank, who also stopped and helped me on my first flat helped me again. We got it all together and Isabella also stopped. As i was ready Hank offered me a spare tube and Isabella a CO2. Very thankful as I needed it later on. The second; lasted well, rode much like tubless and felt pretty good that it would last. My only concern was thorn; which became real just as I had started enjoying the ride with Henry. Pretty slow leak but took no chance and put in the one Hank gave me. Spent more time trying to get the thorn out, longer nails would have helped. Vitor was long gone at around 30 km mark but now the three guys in the lead from the main group and a few more passed by some of who Id passed a couple of times by now.&lt;br&gt;<br>
With no more tubes and 50 km to go I took no risks. Enjoyed the coblestone climb up to the castle and the sunny hot day. Started focusing on eating and drinking a little bit; finished both bottles before the finish line! </p>
<p>At the finish I spoke with a few guys. Vitor told me that out here always put sealant km the tire too. I had the tool and sealant with me but never thought of it. He also said he didnt know he passed me so rode hard to catch me and ended up setting new course record today. Good for him; not so good for the women next year as their handicap will be a bit shorter. Then Henry told me there is a plug kit that is 99% safe and I could have continued with tubless. So tomorrow I will have plugs, sealant and tubes in my pocket.</p>
<p>And Craig, the 50/50 seem right, I chose the bad one first. Second one seem good, patched and ready for some real tests but not until home.</p>
<p>This stage is pretty nice; some good mixture of dirt.&#160; and rocky trail; perfect hot weather, some mud then some water crossings to clean the mud....so happy people crossing the line.</p>

No stats from the chief dad yet; but definitly some places down today. Think around 7 across the line but with the top guys pretty far ahead.

New day tomorrow; long pedal day!

Happy riding!



No comments:

Post a Comment