Sunday, May 13, 2012

Portugal Day 8...

...was a very long one last year. Yesterday went much better. I quickly settled in to a comfy pace and was happy that there was a bit of cloud to start. It was hot right off the start so any shade was welcome. The cloud quickly disappeared. I filled water at the 49 k mark; both bottles gone, and again at the 86 k. At this stop I also got a nice cold coke.

Shortly after I believe, Vitor passed me. We had started the climbing of the day. I assumed Henry would have got to me first today but him and the Italian made a navigation error and lost time. I still haven't got his story of what happened. So with both bottled full I started the 2 big climbs. The first grave climb is super steep and I was in granny most of the time. This is when Marco and Christopher went by. I didnt walk which is an improvement from last year; very happy with my 24 ring!

The next climb is on the road and is really split in 2..on the first section Rui passed me and I didnt feel i had much to give to hang on. From there on and in it was just a fight with the heat and legs. Almost at the top I get some wire tangled in my chain, derailure and cassette and for a moment after trying to clean it out I thought I was done for the day. I could so see the next guy behind me. But just as I was about to give up I took one last pull on the stuck wire and it let loose with the derailure still intact ...close call...climb the last bit; think i saw the ocean or at least I imagined the ocean. And the next 10 was mostly fast downhill; with a bit of tricky navigation. Made it to the finish in fifty. Rui who passed me way down only got in a minute or so but think he is pretty safe in his 2 position. Me on the other hand will have to look back for Henry today. 99 km and just over 5 min is not much. Today the main group will catch up pretty fast and Henry is super strong on the roads and flats and will probably hang on to main group if they catch him and is able to hang it in to finish. I will do my best to hang on but know the few hills will be hard.

Dad had a great day. Ended up higher than the race went so missed the finish but Im sure there was some amazing views.

The hotel is one of the nicest but easy to get lost and AC not functioning so Katy and I are already heating up.

Next stop; the beach!

Happy Riding!


1 comment:

  1. Time for the big finish! I woke up this morning to see you're in 1st at CP 2 ... and just now ... 1st at CP3 by 5 minutes! Go! Go! Go!

    ReplyDelete