Friday, May 11, 2012

Portugal Day 7...

...only two to go!

My biggest worry today was the heat. The course is fairly flat and fast but 144 km in the heat would be hard. I was happy to see some cloud cover as at start it was already hot with out the sun out.

I stuck with the plan of staying with my starting group as there is a lot of asphalt to start and lots of wind. My headset made so much noice and about an hour in started getting stuck and pulling me sideways; so I did a little on the bike riding quick fix by loosening it up a bit; not ideal but seem to work and with mostly gravel roads today not a big deal to ride it a bit loose I figured. Hope to get a new one tonight.
The girls and a Paul did a great job in the group ride and that allowed me to spin the legs without burning out on my own. We all rode together until 75 km. We stopped to buy some water and a coke...no water and only one coke left. And no change so 10 euros...made the small bar weekly sales probably.

Then it dawned on me; last year Henry cought me around 50 k mark and we were at 75 and in the bar not paying attention ...so I rushed out and got on my bike and hoped he didnt go by. Dave from South Africa rode with me as well. But the girls took a few more minutes. Shortly after we passed the official drink spot and dad was there; confirming Henry did not pass. So settled in to a comfy pace for now. And it was nice to have Dave for company, he did a couple of good pulls for me. Henry cought us around 90km and from there it was race pace to the finish for me; working hard to not loose him and put in some effort to help when I could. Vito got us a little later and didnt want to play today; rode by and no chance of hanging on. The Christopher and Marco was next at a gate crossing not to far out. Maybe 30 km or less to the finish. The wind was brutal and Henry did some amazing pulling thouh now I got to experience gutter riding; whether it was on purpose or not. He is my closed overall competitor sitting about 5 min behind me so it make sence to not give me a free ride in. And with the side winds he did a good job not letting it come easy, still not sure if it was planned. Held it to the finish today and if I can do that for the next two ill be in good shape.

Katy went with the photographer today which was a good choice to recover her badly sunburn. Hopefully back tomorrow but will see; definitly want to ride the last stage so might save it for then. Treating with some yogurt natural; works well.

Dad had a great day and I saw him at a few points; making sure he captured all the stats. Guess i beat my last years time with over 40 min...thouh last year there was a detour.

Tomorrow is a test of both physical and mental strength! It ends with some climbs that seem to never end. 139km and just over 3000 m. Getting very close to the ocean and I believe if we look around tomorrow we might get a glims.

Happy riding!





No comments:

Post a Comment