Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Portugal Day 5...

...makes us more than half way through, only 4 to go.

Today I wanted to ride smart and "recover" legs before the 40 last km. And the plan seemed to work besides the recovered legs part. Though, rode a pace that was ok for the legs and forced my self to eat and drink more than any other day. Last year I didnt enjoy this day at all; this year it was good to me. Thouh since I drank so much my two bottles were gone by 85km and no water fills. When the lead guy cought me at 90 he shared a zip of his water which got me to the same gas station as last year. Henry had cought be prior to this so we both refilled there and while in the station all the bugs that were hiding in my jersey came alive. And those who know me and bugs, not a such a tough girl then....
At one point during the last 30 km Henry lost his food out of a hole in his pocket and at the same time flatted and I missed it all. I thought i was being nice giving him a break on my wheel, when i looked back he was gone. The following pickup told me he lost his food so I figured he would catch up. But never saw him again until the finish. He used the plug he told me about yeaterday that I carry also now and it worked for him; even on a side wall cut.
The last bit in is a lot of up and down...then the finale ...a awesome coblestone climb up to the centre of a castle. Kept looking back but not until I had crossed came the guys behind me...not even a minute. Very close one.

So great day; very hot and hotter again tomorrow so hopefully ill adjust. Drink lots and enjoy the ride.

Dad was planning a day of golf tomorrow since we are at a Golf hotel but unfortunatly its shut down, so he will be out there collecting stats to share for after. Today my strongest leg was the last one which align with the plan.
Missing the crew from last year thouh to feed some insider stories from the main start. Heard there was a early crash in the main group but no details.

Time to rest up and get ready for 165 km tomorrow.

Happy Riding!


No comments:

Post a Comment